Last night on the series premiere of LA Shrinks, I surprised Clayton with a special aphrodisiac dinner. Aphrodisiacs are substances that increase sexual desire, and I had celebrity chef Ameera come by the house and whip up some great dishes to do just that. She was kind enough to share all of her recipes from that night, so If you’re interested in recreating this dinner for your special someone, take a look below!
THE MENU: Portobello Mushroom with Roasted Sweet Potato Pomme Puree with Port Wine Reduction and Grilled Asparagus with Kale and Apple Salad
Roasted Portobello Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt free seasoning
- 1 tsp. Trader Joe’s African Smoke Seasoning
- 8 springs fresh thyme, plucked from stem
- 1/2 tsp. maldon salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°. Mix all ingredients except mushrooms together in a bowl; add mushrooms and toss to coat. Place on a baking dish and roast until brown, 10 to 12 minutes
Roasted Sweet Potato Pomme Puree
- 1 lbs. yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- Maldon salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup half and half
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and roast the sweet potatoes until you able to pierce a fork all the way through. About 45min. Scoop the potatoes out of the skins and place in a pot. Mash the potatoes very thoroughly or press them through a potato ricer.
Gradually mix the butter into the potato until it starts to look shiny. Heat the half and half in a small pan until it’s just about to boil then slowly mix into the potato purée with some salt and freshly ground pepper. The potato should become a soft velvety purée. Enjoy.
Port Wine Reduction
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Olive oil Salt and pepper 1 1.75 Liter bottle port wine
- 1 1.75Liter bottle merlot wine
Preheat sauce pan on medium heat and add 2 tbls olive oil. Add all ingredients except for wine and sauté for 10 minutes then add wine. Cook until reduced by half. Turn flame off and add 1 tbls butter to create a nice sheen. Pour over mushroom and potatoes.
- 1/2 pound asparagus, thick spears
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt, Salt Free Seasoning and Pepper
Preheat your grill for high. Prepare the asparagus by cutting off the tough bottom ends. Place the asparagus in a pan and coat them with olive oil and seasonings.
Grill the asparagus spears for 4-7 minutes, until nicely charred and just fork tender, turning them every few minutes so that they brown relatively evenly. Remove from grill and serve.
Kale and Apple Salad
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 green apple, thinly sliced and cut into small sticks
- 1/2 pink lady apple, thinly sliced and cut into small sticks
- 2 tbls chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c red cabbage, thin chiffonade cut
Toss all ingredients in a bowl with dressing until evenly coated. Sprinkle a little salt and enjoy.
- 3/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. grated shallot
- 1 tbls honey
- Maldon sea salt, freshly ground pepper
Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl; season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
Green Goddess Drink
- 3 green Apples
- 8 leaves collard greens or kale
- 1 lemon, free of rind and pulp
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp honey or agave(optional)
- 1 inch ginger
Makes 10oz. Feed all ingredients through a juicer and enjoy!